Any open jobs will be posted below with a description and application instructions.
Those who are interested in submitting an application for future consideration may do so here.
The library will keep these applications on file for at least 6 months and review them in the event of any job openings.
The Craighead County Jonesboro Public Library is seeking a motivated and innovative Branch Manager for the new Brookland Public Library Branch. This full time position requires the ability to work independently but with a mindfulness to both the job description and the library’s overarching mission.
The Branch Manager is responsible for overseeing all operations of the branch library, including assisting groups and individuals with various information needs, maintaining branch library collections, offering programs to patrons of all ages, and promoting the library in the community. This position also includes supervising the branch sub(s) and any interns or volunteers at the branch.
An ideal candidate would have completed some college education and have at least three years of customer service experience. Library or supervisory experience is preferred. Compensation for this position starts at $26,000 a year commensurate with education and experience. This position is 40 hours a week. Benefits include a generous paid time off plan, paid health and dental insurance, and APERS retirement. PTO and insurance benefits amount to approximately $10,000 in value per year.
If you are interested in applying for this position or if you know someone who would be interested in this position, please send a cover letter, resume, and list of professional references to Jordan Wilson, Assistant Business Manager, at email@example.com or mailed to 315 West Oak Avenue, Jonesboro, AR 72401. This posting will remain open until 5 p.m. on June 5, 2020.
Branch Manager Job Description
The Branch Manager is responsible for ensuring excellent customer service to all library patrons, while overseeing all operations of the branch library. Responsibilities also include assisting groups and individuals with various information needs, maintaining branch library collections, offering programs to patrons of all ages, and promoting the library in the community.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
● Customer Service
● Provide excellent customer service to all library patrons and staff.
● Provide reference and reader’s advisory services; and assist patrons in using technology and library resources, including genealogy and local history collections and databases.
● Issue library cards, check out items, collect fines, resolve issues with patron accounts, and ensure patron records are updated regularly.
● Charge patrons for damaged materials and notify them.
● Resolve any issues that may arise.
● Maintain patron confidentiality according to state and federal laws.
● Provide programs and activities for patrons of all ages, both in and out of the building.
● Keep track of programming statistics and submit them once a month to Jonesboro.
● Continuously evaluate current programs and activities for future service needs.
● Supervision and Leadership
● Coordinate and oversee all aspects of the branch operations.
● Ensure all procedures are followed appropriately.
● Represent the branch library at monthly branch meetings.
● Interview, hire, train, and evaluate employees for the branch.
● Commit to professional growth and development.
● Collection Development and Maintenance
● Work with the main library to maintain and develop the branch collections as outlined in the collection development policy.
● Regularly consult reviews, catalogs, patron and staff recommendations, and current holdings to select materials for branch library collections in all formats, including books, periodicals, Books on CD, DVDs, music CDs, e-books, and e-audiobooks.
● Shelve and keep materials in order on shelves. Shift the collection as required.
● Inspect returned materials for damage and ensure all materials in the collection are in excellent condition.
● Keep track of and analyze usage statistics of library materials to evaluate current practices and future needs.
● Responsible for petty cash and the annual branch programming budget.
● Establish procedures that adhere to the standards of financial accountably set forth by the auditor.
● Marketing and Public Relations
● Work with the Public Relations Department to promote library events and programs.
● Set up a library booth at various community and business events to promote the library.
● Facilities Maintenance
● Perform custodial work in all public and employee areas to maintain a clean environment.
● Report any issues with the facility to Jonesboro or the appropriate person.
● Additional Duties
● Run daily reports to assist in sending patron notices, pulling from the various holds lists, etc. using the library’s integrated library system.
● Additional duties will be assigned according to individual strengths and interests.
Supervise the Branch Subs, and any interns or volunteers assigned to the branch. Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities may include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; and addressing and resolving issues that arise.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty
satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Some college education preferred; and/or three years of related customer service experience and training; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Library or supervisory experience preferred.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as operating manuals, various publications, and procedure/policy guidelines. Ability to write routine procedure guidelines, reports, and correspondence. Ability to communicate effectively to other library employees, volunteers, and interns; the general public; outside vendors; and library patrons. Ability to speak effectively before groups of library employees, patrons, and the general public.
Ability to understand and apply basic math principles as applicable to this position.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in various situations.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Valid Driver's License preferred.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to talk, hear, stand, sit, walk, bend, stoop, reach with hands and/or arms, and use hands and fingers to handle items. The employee is occasionally required to kneel, climb, and balance. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds; and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The physical demands of this position may require the employee to operate a vehicle. This demand requires the employee to have the ability to work in a constant state of alertness and in a safe manner. An employee under the influence constitutes a threat to health or safety. This position is considered a safety sensitive position for the purpose of the Medical Marijuana Law.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.