Any open jobs will be posted below with a description and application instructions.
Those who are interested in submitting an application for future consideration may do so here.
The library will keep these applications on file for at least 6 months and review them in the event of any job openings.
Current Job Opening: Adult Services Manager
The Craighead County Jonesboro Public Library in Jonesboro, Arkansas is looking for an Adult Services Manager to help us bring our adult programming and adult outreach services to the next level.
The Adult Services Manager will lead a team of 6 fulltime and 5 part-time employees to ensure the library is offering innovative and successful adult programs and services to patrons in and out of the building. This position will also have an integral role in working with our new bookmobile to ensure we are taking quality programs and materials out into the community.
Our service population is growing, and is currently over 130,000. Our service area includes all of Craighead and Poinsett counties in northeast Arkansas. The Adult Services Manager would work at the main library located in Jonesboro, Arkansas.
Never heard of Jonesboro, Arkansas? We are located in northeast Arkansas, about an hour drive northwest of Memphis, TN. Jonesboro is a great place to live and consistently ranks as one of the most cost effective cities in the country, and our utility rates are among the lowest in the country.
The ideal candidate for this position will have an ALA-accredited Master’s degree, experience with adult library programming, and three or more years of leadership experience,
The starting salary for this position will be between $36,000-$49,000 depending upon education and experience. The library offers a generous benefits package, including 100% employer paid health and dental insurance premiums for each fulltime employee.
Please send a cover letter, resume, and list of references to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than June 7, 2018.
Adult Services Manager Job Description:
The Adult Services Manager provides leadership, supervision, and training to the Adult Services team to ensure excellent customer service to all library patrons. The emphasis of this position will be on leading the department in the development and implementation of innovative programs and outreach services. Responsibilities also include serving on the Library Management Team and overseeing all aspects of adult programming, adult outreach, reader’s advisory services, and reference services.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
- Supervision and Leadership
- Lead and support the Info Services team in the accomplishment of department goals.
- Train, supervise, and provide feedback on a regular basis to staff in the department.
- Provide training so that all Adult Services staff are knowledgeable in basic research, genealogy research, and assisting patrons with technology.
- Maintain quality standards for Adult Services and customer service.
- Coordinate and oversee all aspects of the departmental operations and budget.
- Ensure all department procedures are updated as need and followed appropriately.
- Commit to professional growth and development.
- Customer Service
- Provide excellent customer service to all library patrons and staff.
- Ensure all staff in the department are providing excellent customer service at all times.
- Provide reference and reader’s advisory services; and assist patrons in using technology and library resources, including genealogy and local history collections and databases.
- Maintain displays and exhibits.
- Maintain patron confidentiality according to state and federal laws.
- Oversee all adult programming efforts, both in and out of the building.
- Continuously evaluate current programs for future service needs
- Administrative Duties
- Assist with interviewing, hiring, training, and evaluating employees for the department.
- Monitor and approve employee electronic timecards and use of PTO (paid time off).
- Address and resolve issues that arise within the department.
- Establish procedures that adhere to the standards of financial accountably set forth by the auditor.
- Marketing and Public Relations
- Work with the Public Relations Department to promote library events and programs.
- Represent and promote the library at community events.
- Library Management Team
- The Library Management Team has the responsibility of ensuring interdepartmental communication; assisting in the development, implementation, and evaluation of current practices; and making recommendations for short and long term planning.
Supervise the Assistant Adult Services Manager, Adult Services Staff, Adult Services Pages, and any interns or volunteers assigned to the department. Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities may include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; and addressing and resolving issues that arise.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Master’s degree in Library Science (MLS) from a college or university with an ALA-accredited program and a minimum of three years library experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Supervisory experience preferred.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as operating manuals, various publications, and procedure/policy guidelines . Ability to write routine procedure guidelines, reports, and correspondence. Ability to communicate effectively to other library employees, volunteers, and interns; the general public; outside vendors; and library patrons. Ability to speak effectively before groups of library employees, patrons, and the general public.
Ability to understand and apply basic math principles as applicable to this position.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in various situations.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
This position does not require any specialized certificates, licenses, or registrations.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to talk, hear, stand, sit, walk, bend, stoop, reach with hands and/or arms, and use hands and fingers to handle items. The employee is occasionally required to kneel, climb, and balance. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds; and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.